Note: These are notes and activities for a presentation I will be doing this week with administrators as part of a continuing series of work related to Instructional Rounds.
- Watch the video and notice what the students do and don't do.
- Discuss with your group the examples of disengagement that you find.
- How do students 'fake' engagement?
- How would you define engagement?
2. Research about Student Engagement and Flow
Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity.
- Very Focused
- Very Clear Goal: Not too difficult or too easy.
- Balance of Skills and Challenge
- Immediate Feedback to their Action
- In the present
- Flow is the reward
Elementary Kids Monitor Terrain with Technology
Using characteristics we named that suggest student engagement, code the transcript from the video.